280082 – 6 x 4 Truck Krupp Protze
The Flakpanzer IV “Wirbelwind” (Whirlwind in English) was a German self-propelled anti-aircraft gun based on the Panzer IV tank. It was developed in 1944 as a successor to the earlier Möbelwagen self-propelled anti-aircraft gun.
In the first years of World War II, the German military forces had less interest in developing self-propelled anti-aircraft guns, but as the Allies began to gain air superiority the need for more mobile and better-armed self-propelled anti-aircraft guns increased. During the early summer of 1944 SS-Hauptsturmführer Karl Wilhelm Krause with the 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend came up with the concept of the Flakpanzer IV Wirbelwind. He presented the concept to SS-Obersturmbannführer Max Wünsche, commanding officer of the 12th SS Panzer Regiment and it was approved by Adolf Hitler.
The Panzer IV’s turret was removed and replaced with an open-top nine-sided turret that housed a quad-barrel 2cm Flakvierling 38. A closed-top design would have been preferable, but this was not possible due to the heavy smoke generated by the four anti-aircraft guns. The shape of the turret earned it the nickname Keksdose (“Biscuit Tin”). Production of the tank was carried out by Ostbau Werke in Sagan, Silesia. However in combat the 2cm shells were felt to be insufficiently effective against aircraft and so a more powerful successor was produced which eventually replaced it. Known as the Flakpanzer IV “Ostwind” (East Wind), the successor was equipped with a single 3.7cm Flak 43.
The combination of armor and rapid fire from the four guns of the Wirbelwind made it very effective against lightly armoured ground targets such as trucks and armored cars; infantry were particularly vulnerable.
Between 87 and 105 Wirbelwinds were converted from repaired Panzer IV chassis, but due to discrepancies between the recorded production numbers at Ostbau Werke and Wehrmacht service records, the exact number may never be known.
Krupp Protze Kfz 69/70 6×4 Truck
Artillery Tractor / Utility Truck
The L2 H43 and L2 H143 “Krupp-Protze” (unofficial designation) was a six-wheeled 6×4 German truck and artillery tractor produced between 1934 and 1941 and heavily used in World War II. It was powered by a 4-cylinder, 55hp or from 1936 a 60hp Krupp M304 petrol engine. Its main purpose was to tow artillery (designated Kfz 69) especially the PaK 36, and transport motorized infantry (Kfz 70).
This vehicle was extensively used on the Eastern Front, during the North African campaign and in France and Sicily. The “Krupp-Protze” was of relatively advanced design although its fuel consumption was relatively high (24 liters / 100km on road) in comparison to the Opel Blitz 1.5 t trucks (16.5 liters / 100km on road) which was produced between 1938 and 1942. Total production was about 7,000 units.
– Can be built as Kfz 69 or Kfz 70
– Open or closed tailgate
– Optional tarpaulin top
– Open or closed rear canvas
– Driver in Heer uniform included
Product Code: 280082
Number of Parts: 87 pieces / 2 sprues
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.