Ford licensed the manufacture of the Model AA in the Soviet Union in 1932. The Russians liked them so much they made more than 985,000 between 1932 and 1950.
In 1929 the first trucks Ford-AA and cars Ford-A were built in Nizhny Novgorod from parts shipped from the USA. At the same time a new automobile plant was built in Nizhny Novgorod (later the town was renamed to Gorky in 1932). The name GAZ stands for Gorkovsky Avtomobilny Zavod (Gorky Automobile Plant). In January of 1932, the first GAZ-AA truck (almost an exact copy of the Ford-AA) was produced in the new plant. It had a cargo capacity of 1,500 kg (3,300 lb). A model with a stronger 50HP engine and wartime simplifications is often named GAZ–MM, after the engine.
The GAZ-AAA triple axle truck was a development of the earlier double axle GAZ-AA which was a licensed copy of the Ford Model AA 1.5ton truck. The GAZ-AAA was a simple triple axle 6 x 4 truck that proved to be robust and reliable and apart from the basic cargo truck, it also formed the basis for numerous variants such as an ambulance, mobile workshop and also a platform for AA guns. The GAZ-AAA was produced from 1934 to 1943 with modified versions appearing in 1940 with the two spare wheels moved to the front fenders and again in 1943 with flat sheet metal fenders, it was also used as a base for the BA-6 and BA-10 armoured cars.